Thursday, January 24, 2008

Birthdays

This month, My Hero turned 32 and I turned 31. After spending Christmas with my family in Illinois and enduring 19 hours to and from on a train with a one-year-old, we were suffering from an overdose of partying, not to mention post-traumatic stress syndrome (NEVER. AGAIN. with the train thing). We laid low for our birthdays, which are a little over a week apart. Nevertheless, I think I won on the "most effort" competition - to wit, my made from scratch yellow cake with chocolate frosting. You may be impressed, but I just didn't want to go to the store to buy the mixes, and we didn't want a whole 13x9 cake.

This was also my first run-in (after living here for six years) with high-altitude issues. You can't see it because of the frosting, but my cake ended up with a rather sinky middle. Tasted good, though - not as light as the Doughboy's, but excellent nonetheless.

For my birthday, I told him I just wanted ice cream:

Hey, works for me.

1 comment:

Julie McC. said...

Well, I'm impressed, because I know what's involved. My personal favorite small cake is Dinette Cake from Betty Crocker.